Bloggers.com

I'm listed in Life & Lifestyle

Cattails in the WInd

Cattails in the WInd

Home Town Canada

Georgetown, Ontario's Hometown Canada Community
Community information including businesses, real estate, travel, events, history, trivia, classified ads, forums and more.

Followers

BlogCatalog

Personal Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Belfountain - A Winter Walk

Posted by Lorac Sunday 24 March 2013

The records indicate that the Hamlet of Belfountain (Village) was first settled in 1825. As time passed, the Hamlet added a blacksmith, wagon shop, school, post office, church and a public water pump.The cold, spring-fed waters of the West Credit River provide ideal habitat and ample angling opportunities for brook and brown trout and other fish. Freshwater springs flow from the steep valley walls that enclose this tranquil oasis. Heavily treed woodlands of cedar, oak, maple and birch are alive with wildlife – songbirds, rabbits, flying squirrels, ruffed grouse and white-tailed deer.

Falls created by Charles Mack

Close to the picturesque village of Belfountain, this 8 ha site once belonged to Charles Mack, inventor of the cushion-back rubber stamp. 

Mack and his wife Addie purchased the property in 1908, where he developed his version of a miniature Niagara Falls (above) and Yellowstone Cave (below).


The "Cave" below. There is a wonderful hearth in here. I can only imagine the fires it has held.


It started out as a dull cold day with flurries. By the time we got to Belfountain the weather had changed to a gorgeous sunny, mild day.


Suspension bridge over the Credit River

 Mr. Mack had a suspension bridge built downstream from the dam (above) and created a fountain topped with a bell honouring the town(below). He also added stonewalls, footpaths, scenic lookouts and a guesthouse. The couple lived in a small house deep in the park.

I never tire of this wonderful spot. There wasn't another soul around. Just my granddaughter, her friend and I.
Magical!

10 comments

  1. Andy Says:
  2. After a long drought in not posting I'm glad you are back. I enjoy your photos and theses ones made the wait worth while.

     
  3. Lorac Says:
  4. Thanks Andy. I get around when I can. Starting my own business a couple of years ago has kept me hopping!

     
  5. Judy Says:
  6. What a wonderful day you must have had!!! I love the stonework in the cave!!! It would be a perfect time for a blazing fire, now!!!

     
  7. Lorac Says:
  8. Isn't it wonderful Judy? I would love to get in there too and have a huge fire!

     
  9. Lyn Says:
  10. I love Belfountain in any season, but it is especially sacred to have it all to yourself! Love the photos. Nice job and thanks for sharing.

     
  11. I've never been to this wonderful place. In fact, I need to look it up on Google to find out where it is. How photogenic!

     
  12. Unknown Says:
  13. I love caves like that. We have some in the area here, from wartime. More like forts. Beautiful photos!

     
  14. Interesting!
    I have been through Belfountain several times when walking the Bruce Trail but I did not know anything about all of this. Is this public property now or were you just wandering?

     
  15. KaHolly Says:
  16. Oh, yes, looks like a lovely place, indeed!! Thank you for sharing!!

     
  17. KaHolly Says:
  18. Just stopping by to see how things are going! It's been almost a year since you've posted. Hope all is well! ~karen

     

Post a Comment

Thank you for being gracious enough to leave a message! It is the best part of my day.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Canadian Please!

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My Photo
Lorac
Georgetown, Ontario, Canada
I have lived in Georgetown for 37 years but have traveled around a great deal. I own my own business which takes a lot of my time but try to blog as much as possible! I love to take pictures, no training, just a love of photography. Enjoy the pics but please do not copy them.
View my complete profile

Please do not copy!

Copyright ~~All content and photos are original to Carol Merten, Ahhh...The Cottage Life! and are copyrighted. Please do not copy, or download any content without express written consent. All content and photos remain the sole property of Carol Merten.

Visitors