Bloggers.com

I'm listed in Life & Lifestyle

Cattails in the WInd

Cattails in the WInd

Home Town Canada

Georgetown, Ontario's Hometown Canada Community
Community information including businesses, real estate, travel, events, history, trivia, classified ads, forums and more.

Followers

BlogCatalog

Personal Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Eastern Red Backed Salamander, Outdoor Wednesday

Posted by Lorac Tuesday 21 September 2010

 The last long weekend at the cottage, my granddaughter found a little friend to play with! It was found under damp leaves that had blown into a corner beside the cottage.




 Eastern Redback Salamander (Plethodon cinereus)
 Description:

 -10 cm in length, approximately half of the length being tail
- three colour morphs, dark colour with a red dorsal stripe, entirely dark and entirely red
- dark colour with a red dorsal stripe is more common in most areas; entirely red morph (erythristic) is rare

Habitat:
 - only salamander in Ontario that is completely terrestrial
 - because they are not dependent on water for breeding, the eggs being laid under rottern logs, they can live in woodlands without ponds
 - most commonly found in eastern hardwood forests under logs and rocks or in damp leaf litter and rotten stumps

Reminds me of the Gieco Gecko, that face! After a short while watching it and letting it run around her hands, she decided it needed to go back to it's Mommy and Daddy! She took it back where it was found to let it go back to it's home!
See more out door pictures at Outdoor Wednesday!

11 comments

  1. Barb Says:
  2. Your granddaughter's face is full of wonder and caring and concern. I like so much about this post: a child experiencing nature, a willingness to hold and learn from a little creature that might seem scary to some, a wisdom that tells even the young that we should be careful to return things to their natural habitat. Good for her!

     
  3. Unknown Says:
  4. How lovely that she thought of the creature in those terms.

     
  5. betty-NZ Says:
  6. Isn't he just adorable! And your granddaughter is such a cute one, too!

     
  7. What an adorable little lady. She is so sweet with the way she held the creature. The creature is a very handsome lizard...to me. Thanks for the info on him. Smiles.

     
  8. Unknown Says:
  9. brave girl! i know some adults would shriek to see this reptile. lovely shot.

     
  10. A precious shot.

     
  11. eileeninmd Says:
  12. Cute salamander and your granddaughter looks adorable.

     
  13. KaHolly Says:
  14. Sweet! I love seeing the kiddos connect with nature! ~karen

     
  15. Anonymous Says:
  16. It's great to see young people with a love for nature. You have a very pretty grand-daughter.

     
  17. Arti Says:
  18. Wow...That is sooo sweet and cute too:)

     
  19. Lorac Says:
  20. Thnak you all! I do love that both of my Grandaughters really enjoy learning about nature and it's creatures. I remember when my older grand daughter, then 4, brought me a nice big spider to enjoy! I HATE SPIDERS! But I didn't want her to know that so told her what a handsome spider he was indeed but now it was time to send him home!

     

Post a Comment

Thank you for being gracious enough to leave a message! It is the best part of my day.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Canadian Please!

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My Photo
Lorac
Georgetown, Ontario, Canada
I have lived in Georgetown for 37 years but have traveled around a great deal. I own my own business which takes a lot of my time but try to blog as much as possible! I love to take pictures, no training, just a love of photography. Enjoy the pics but please do not copy them.
View my complete profile

Please do not copy!

Copyright ~~All content and photos are original to Carol Merten, Ahhh...The Cottage Life! and are copyrighted. Please do not copy, or download any content without express written consent. All content and photos remain the sole property of Carol Merten.

Visitors