Bloggers.com

I'm listed in Life & Lifestyle

Cattails in the WInd

Cattails in the WInd

Home Town Canada

Georgetown, Ontario's Hometown Canada Community
Community information including businesses, real estate, travel, events, history, trivia, classified ads, forums and more.

Followers

BlogCatalog

Personal Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Can you see him? Camera Critters

Posted by Lorac Saturday 25 September 2010

While driving up to my sons, a few klm's north of here, I saw a huge bird on the side of the road eating road kill. As I past I realized it was a Turkey Buzzard. I went back but it flew up into the forest. Can you see him? How many times would one drive by and never see him sitting as he is?


 He has seen me, I don't want to spook him.


Let me bring him a little closer.


Very ugly up close, but beautiful in flight, the Turkey Buzzard (Vulture) is a large bird. It has a wingspan of 170–183 cm (67–72 in), a length of 64–81 cm (25–32 in), and weight of 0.85–2.26 kg (1.9–5 lb). It has dark brown to black plumage; a featherless, purplish-red head and neck; and a short, hooked, ivory-colored beak. Its life expectancy in the wild ranges upward of 16 years, with a captive life span of over 30 years being possible.

The Turkey Buzzard is a scavenger and feeds almost exclusively on carrion. It finds its meals using its keen vision and sense of smell, flying low enough to detect the gasses produced by the beginnings of the process of decay in dead animals.
Natures natural road side cleaner!
Many more Camera Critters here!

12 comments

  1. Wow. I wouldn't have spotted him if I hadn't enlarged the first picture. Well, I would have if I'd scrolled down to see you had enlarged it already, but this way I had the fun of finding him.
    So, do you say "I captured a turkey buzzard today" as a conversation-opener at dinner because it sounds better than saying "I captured a vulture"? Well, good capture, either way!

    Kay, Alberta

     
  2. Lorac Says:
  3. Oh for sure Kay. It does sound more exotic!

     
  4. Barb Says:
  5. He is quite well camouflaged up there! I guess you can say about the buzzard what my Mom used to say about people, "It takes all kinds..."

     
  6. Lorac Says:
  7. Indeed it does Barb!

     
  8. Janie Says:
  9. Nice photos of the under-appreciated buzzard.

     
  10. Gorgeous captures!

    Jaguar and a Running Mate

     
  11. Agreed, turkey buzzards are one of the uglies!

     
  12. Jo Says:
  13. I was able to spot him right away because he had his back to us and I could see his shape. Completely amazing...! I had no idea we had these birds in Canada. For some reason I thought they lived much farther south.

    These are fabulous photographs...!

     
  14. Unknown Says:
  15. Oh, he's not that ugly, I love the red bill...

     
  16. Roan Says:
  17. You're right, Turkey Buzzards are graceful in flight, but they sure are ugly up close. I missed a great buzzard shot. Several buzzards were feeding on a dead animal in the middle of the road. As we approached, they flew away. We just happened to be next to a graveyard. One of them perched on a grave stone. Where was my camera? At home!

     
  18. eileeninmd Says:
  19. Nice series of Buzzard photos. Up close they are ugly but they do look beautiful in flight.

     
  20. Nice progression of photos.
    http://reesspace.blogspot.com/2010/09/camera-critters-spider.html

     

Post a Comment

Thank you for being gracious enough to leave a message! It is the best part of my day.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Canadian Please!

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My Photo
Lorac
Georgetown, Ontario, Canada
I have lived in Georgetown for 37 years but have traveled around a great deal. I own my own business which takes a lot of my time but try to blog as much as possible! I love to take pictures, no training, just a love of photography. Enjoy the pics but please do not copy them.
View my complete profile

Please do not copy!

Copyright ~~All content and photos are original to Carol Merten, Ahhh...The Cottage Life! and are copyrighted. Please do not copy, or download any content without express written consent. All content and photos remain the sole property of Carol Merten.

Visitors