Bloggers.com

I'm listed in Life & Lifestyle

Cattails in the WInd

Cattails in the WInd

Home Town Canada

Georgetown, Ontario's Hometown Canada Community
Community information including businesses, real estate, travel, events, history, trivia, classified ads, forums and more.

Followers

BlogCatalog

Personal Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Wind Power

Posted by Lorac Sunday 16 September 2012

 Every once in awhile I just go touring in the car, no where in particular. Just off to see new things. I am seeing many more of these popping up in the farmland area. On barns especially. Good for them!! A nice green way to supplement electricity. I like Wind turbines. I know there is a lot of controversy about them but since I have been on site for Safety compliance at both Wind turbine sites and Coal fire plants, I will tell you I will take wind turbines hands down!


I prefer these over...








These! Coal fired plants!




The Ontario government hopes to phase out all coal-fired plants by 2014, replacing that capacity with wind power and other clean energy sources.
"Ontario is on the edge of creating one of the greenest and cleanest electricity profiles anywhere in the world. Delivering on our government's key commitment to eliminate coal, along with the Green Energy Act, will cement Ontario as a leader in renewable energy and conservation. "
 – George Smitherman
Deputy Premier and Minister of Energy and Infrastructure

The Nanticoke coal-fired electricity generating station on Lake Erie is Canada's single largest source of air pollution. This gigantic coal-fired power plant -- the largest in North America -- produces a toxic brew of pollutants, including sulphur dioxide, nitrogen oxides, mercury, lead, cancerous heavy metals and arsenic. (Nanticoke is owned by Ontario Power Generation -- formerly Ontario Hydro -- which, in turn, is 100% owned by the Government of Ontario.)

Cleaner sources of electricity:
  • Wind power -- zero air emissions

  • Solar photo voltaic -- zero air emissions

  • Hydro -- zero air emissions (can have other impacts)

  • Landfill gas/bio-gas (e.g. from municipal composting facility) -- varies depending on technology and source

  • Natural gas --The smog-causing sulphur dioxide emissions of a modern high-efficiency natural gas power plant are 99% less than those from existing coal-fired plants. Emissions of nitrogen oxides (also a source of smog) are 90% less and emissions of greenhouse gases are 60% less. Gas-fired plants emit no mercury, lead or heavy metals, all of which are emitted by coal-fired power plants.



2 comments

  1. Jenn Jilks Says:
  2. I totally agree with you.
    Both with the wind turbines (which are doing well in countries around the world) and Daycations.
    My kind of travel.
    I wish we could afford to put in solar powered stuff, but we'll die before it pays us back for the investment! At least we're on well and septic.
    Cheers from Cottage Country!

     
  3. Red Nomad OZ Says:
  4. No argument from me! There's also controversy downunder in Australia, but they do the job AND they're beautiful in my opinion! Certainly a lot more attractive than the alternative!

     

Post a Comment

Thank you for being gracious enough to leave a message! It is the best part of my day.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Canadian Please!

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My Photo
Lorac
Georgetown, Ontario, Canada
I have lived in Georgetown for 37 years but have traveled around a great deal. I own my own business which takes a lot of my time but try to blog as much as possible! I love to take pictures, no training, just a love of photography. Enjoy the pics but please do not copy them.
View my complete profile

Please do not copy!

Copyright ~~All content and photos are original to Carol Merten, Ahhh...The Cottage Life! and are copyrighted. Please do not copy, or download any content without express written consent. All content and photos remain the sole property of Carol Merten.

Visitors