Bloggers.com

I'm listed in Life & Lifestyle

Cattails in the WInd

Cattails in the WInd

Home Town Canada

Georgetown, Ontario's Hometown Canada Community
Community information including businesses, real estate, travel, events, history, trivia, classified ads, forums and more.

Followers

BlogCatalog

Personal Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

The Pits! Outdoor Wednesday

Posted by Lorac Tuesday 4 September 2012

I live beside a "clay pit" or mine. It has grown quite a bit since it started but it is only a three man operation. It was only about a third this size when I moved in 30 years ago. This whole area is clay. The red clay that factories love to make brick out of. They are relatively quiet neighbours.

I walked there yesterday being as it was a holiday and no one was around. (Yes, I snuck in!) It ends abruptly as seen here in this pic. My family used to take many walks back in the forest here and there were lots of hills for tobogganing in the winter months. Now every one is grown and no one but me is interested. Once in a while I still walk back there, mostly for old times sake now. It is still quite pretty past the pit. I see Wild Turkey back here. They were re-introduced to Ontario about 25 years ago and are in massive numbers now. Seem to like it here.


There is a bulldozer and an excavator down there. I believe that the same man who runs these also takes the load in a large transport to the bricking factories. If you were to walk straight through the pit and up the hill in the back you run into my back yard.


 There has always been ponds in the pit but they have moved around over time. There was a bigger pond and lots of flooding in the winter which froze and family and friends would skate down there. There was no one around and no operation in the winter in the first 20 years. Now it is all year.


 Love Cat Tails! Or Bulrushes, whatever you wish to call them. There are so many prints and scat down by the pond. Deer, turkey, raccoon and coyotes prints that I could see. There were Turkey Vultures flying over head that have been coming back to this area ever since I moved here. Offspring of offspring I imagine.

To those that know the area, you can see lots of change. Lots more of the great outdoors here at Outdoor Wednesday!

8 comments

  1. VioletSky Says:
  2. all that red clay makes this quarry more picturesque than some.
    and it reminds me that I still want to get to see Cheltenham...

     
  3. Lorac Says:
  4. Yes that is right! You need to visit Cheltenham for sure. Fall is a great time to go there.

     
  5. KaHolly Says:
  6. Pits are the pits!

     
  7. Lorac Says:
  8. This one is not so bad KaHolly. Rather have this small pit beside me than others, like gravel pits in the area.

     
  9. Your header is absolutely gorgeous. Such beautiful fall colors! What a great place so close to see wildlife. I love those cattails……….

    ~Emily
    The French Hutch

     
  10. s.c Says:
  11. Yes you have some real impressive landscape pictures. Very nice to see.

     
  12. The soil is such a pretty colour! I thought all bricks thee days were nade of concrete, Shows how much I know...or don't know.

     
  13. Lorac Says:
  14. EG- yes it is hard to believe they still fire clay in kilns for brick!

     

Post a Comment

Thank you for being gracious enough to leave a message! It is the best part of my day.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Canadian Please!

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My Photo
Lorac
Georgetown, Ontario, Canada
I have lived in Georgetown for 37 years but have traveled around a great deal. I own my own business which takes a lot of my time but try to blog as much as possible! I love to take pictures, no training, just a love of photography. Enjoy the pics but please do not copy them.
View my complete profile

Please do not copy!

Copyright ~~All content and photos are original to Carol Merten, Ahhh...The Cottage Life! and are copyrighted. Please do not copy, or download any content without express written consent. All content and photos remain the sole property of Carol Merten.

Visitors