Bloggers.com

I'm listed in Life & Lifestyle

Cattails in the WInd

Cattails in the WInd

Home Town Canada

Georgetown, Ontario's Hometown Canada Community
Community information including businesses, real estate, travel, events, history, trivia, classified ads, forums and more.

Followers

BlogCatalog

Personal Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

A day for the slow cooker!

Posted by Lorac Monday 7 March 2011

 I have several meals that I like to cook this way but hands down my favorite is Chicken Sausage Gumbo! I have it cooking now and it smells so good I can hardly wait. I promised the recipe a while back and here it is. I think you will really enjoy it. You can change around the sausage to your liking. We often use Oktoberfest sausage. The taste goes well with everything else. Really any Smokey or Spicy sausage will do, andouille or kielbasa are recommended.



2 tablespoons Olive Oil
1 pound smoked sausage, such as andouille or kielbasa cut crosswise 1/2-inch thick pieces
4 large chicken breasts, skin removed cut into 1 inch-4 cm pieces(can use legs)
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 lb Okra cut crosswise thick slices ( if you can't find fresh, frozen works great!)
1 large yellow onion chopped
3 stalks chopped celery
1 red or green bell peppers seeded and chopped
1 salt to taste
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
2 cups chicken broth 
1 can Diced plum tomatoes (14 1/2 oz or 500ml)
White Rice, for serving

Cook the Chicken
In a large frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until lightly browned about 8 minutes. Transfer  the chicken to the slow cooker, then add sausages. Scatter the Okra, bell pepper, celery and onion on top.
Make the Roux
Return the frying pan medium-high heat and add remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. Sprinkle the flour into the frying pan and cook, stirring slowly and constantly for about 4 minutes, to make a golden brown roux.
Stirring, slowly add the chicken stock and tomatoes with their juice , and cook, stirring, until well combined. Bring the mixture to a boil. Remove the pan from the heat. Season with the 1/2 teaspoon of salt, the cayenne pepper and then pour over the vegetables, chicken and sausage in the slow cooker.
Cook the Gumbo
Cover and cook on the high heat setting for 4 hours or the low setting for 8 hours. Season to taste with salt and cayenne
Serve with fresh bread or buns.
Optional- Spoon rice into the bottom of deep bowls or large cups and ladle the gumbo on top. 
I hope you enjoy this as much as we do. It is a great meal to put on in the morning and when you come home it is cooked and ready to go! 

7 comments

  1. happyone Says:
  2. mmmmm that looks good. Slow cookers can't be beat.

     
  3. Janie Says:
  4. This looks delicious! I must try it.

     
  5. I had never used slow cookers until I came to Canada - now I too have some favourite recipes. This one does look good! And I love the aroma through the kitchen after these have been going for a few hours - so homely!

     
  6. Jenn Jilks Says:
  7. Tomorrow I'm doing a slow cooker stew! hubby is delivering Meals on Wheels. I have 4 hours of peace and quiet! :0

     
  8. Martha Z Says:
  9. I just finished dinner but looking at this my mouth is watering, I can almost taste it from looking at your picture. I love gumbo!

     
  10. Barb Says:
  11. Gosh, this sure looks tasty! Thanks for the recipe!

     
  12. Unknown Says:
  13. It looks wonderful, would love to have some. Shortly joining my husband for the odd lettuce leaf...

     

Post a Comment

Thank you for being gracious enough to leave a message! It is the best part of my day.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Canadian Please!

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My Photo
Lorac
Georgetown, Ontario, Canada
I have lived in Georgetown for 37 years but have traveled around a great deal. I own my own business which takes a lot of my time but try to blog as much as possible! I love to take pictures, no training, just a love of photography. Enjoy the pics but please do not copy them.
View my complete profile

Please do not copy!

Copyright ~~All content and photos are original to Carol Merten, Ahhh...The Cottage Life! and are copyrighted. Please do not copy, or download any content without express written consent. All content and photos remain the sole property of Carol Merten.

Visitors