Bloggers.com

I'm listed in Life & Lifestyle

Cattails in the WInd

Cattails in the WInd

Home Town Canada

Georgetown, Ontario's Hometown Canada Community
Community information including businesses, real estate, travel, events, history, trivia, classified ads, forums and more.

Followers

BlogCatalog

Personal Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Supermoon!

Posted by Lorac Sunday 20 March 2011

This looks like the sun coming up through the trees. A sight I see on sunny mornings. Strangely though this is the moon rising last night. A "Supermoon".


Earth's closest celestial neighbour  appeared to loom larger and brighter than usual on last night, due to a cosmic event called an "extreme supermoon".
Scientists say the natural phenomenon — in which the moon reaches its closest point to this planet — will cause abnormally high and low tides worldwide.
The occurrences, technically known as "lunar perigees," were previously visible in 1955, 1974, 1992, 1993 and 2005. But what makes this one particularly special is that it coincides with a full moon, which hasn't happened since 1993, according to Geoff Chester of the U.S. Naval Observatory in Washington, D.C.
Astrologers have been quick to blame last week's disastrous earthquake and tsunami in Japan on the supermoon.
But Dr. James Garvin, the chief scientist at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center, said in a release Friday that the effects of Saturday's moon should be minor.
"According to the most detailed studies by terrestrial seismologists and volcanologists, the combination of the moon being at its closest to Earth in its orbit, and being in its ‘full moon' configuration … should not affect the internal energy balance of the Earth since there are lunar tides every day."
The full moon should appear to be about 15 per cent larger and up to 30 per cent brighter than usual on Saturday evening, U.S. scientists said.
The moon was so bright I even got a photo of the brilliance it was putting off.
It was indeed a beautiful moon!

7 comments

  1. Sandra Says:
  2. Thanks for the photo, it's as close as I got to seeing it. Very overcast here, so no moon watching for me. I was so disappointed.

     
  3. Unknown Says:
  4. Yes, we opened the curtains and peered out, glad we did, it was beautiful.

     
  5. We were so lucky to have clear skies to see it!

     
  6. Barb Says:
  7. Glad you got photos - I didn't go out to photograph it. We're in the city and had low cloud cover.

     
  8. Andy Says:
  9. Thanks for the photos. My wife wouldn't let go out because hair began to grow all over my body and I started howling.

     
  10. Lori Skoog Says:
  11. Great shot. It looked so huge, didn't it?

     
  12. Tania Says:
  13. It`s very big. We have clear weather here and I was out with my camera too:-)

     

Post a Comment

Thank you for being gracious enough to leave a message! It is the best part of my day.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Canadian Please!

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My Photo
Lorac
Georgetown, Ontario, Canada
I have lived in Georgetown for 37 years but have traveled around a great deal. I own my own business which takes a lot of my time but try to blog as much as possible! I love to take pictures, no training, just a love of photography. Enjoy the pics but please do not copy them.
View my complete profile

Please do not copy!

Copyright ~~All content and photos are original to Carol Merten, Ahhh...The Cottage Life! and are copyrighted. Please do not copy, or download any content without express written consent. All content and photos remain the sole property of Carol Merten.

Visitors