Bloggers.com

I'm listed in Life & Lifestyle

Cattails in the WInd

Cattails in the WInd

Home Town Canada

Georgetown, Ontario's Hometown Canada Community
Community information including businesses, real estate, travel, events, history, trivia, classified ads, forums and more.

Followers

BlogCatalog

Personal Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Sunday Bridges

Posted by Lorac Saturday 5 March 2011

Burlington Bay Canal Bridge: Burlington, Ontario, Canada: October 19, 2008: There were five different moveable bridges located on this site since 1830. The present bridge was opened in 1962 and carried two lanes of vehicular traffic across the canal. This structure originally had tracks for the Hamilton — Northwestern railway which were removed in 1982 when the road way was widened to four lanes. The bridge structure is a tower driven, vertical lift and moveable bridge. The lift span is 380 feet long, weighs 2200 tons and has a vertical lift of 110 feet. A system originating in the towers contains machinery, sheaves and wire ropes is used to move the lift span. There is one 150 horsepower drive motor in each tower to supply power to the machinery and one 150 horsepower motor in each tower to synchronize the drive motors.

. 
The bridge from a distance looking over Lake Ontario.


.
Many more bridges to see at Sunday Bridges!

9 comments

  1. Great information on your local bridge. My local swing bridges (the first on the planet to be operated by electricity can be seen here. http://rambleswithacamera.blogspot.com/2011/02/river-weaver-swing-bridgesa-history.html or just view my blog and scroll down a few posts.

     
  2. Unknown Says:
  3. You are as fascinated by industrial architecture as I am, Lorac. You'd love our Blists Hill Victorian Village and surrounding museums.

    www.ironbridge.org.uk

     
  4. I was hoping you would post a photo of the Ambassador Bridge.

     
  5. VioletSky Says:
  6. ah yes, I always get a bit excited when the lift bridge is up and I can watch the ships slowly make their way in or out.

     
  7. Jim Says:
  8. The middle is like a mini Sydney Harbour Bridge.
    Sydney - City and Suburbs

     
  9. Andy Says:
  10. Wow! You really did your homework on your great photo.

     
  11. That's a sight for sore eyes!

     
  12. genie Says:
  13. I agree that the middle looks like a mini Sydney Harbor Bridge. Your second shot is a gorgeous one of the water and the sandy shoreline. When I was a child the bridge to the island where I lived had a middle section that moved around to the side instead of up and down. If my daddy drove up at just the right moment, he would get me out of the car and we would walk out onto that section and ride out on it. That was the biggest thrill for me. I don’d guess there are many of those left floating around the world these days. I rally enjoyed seeing your post and its taking me down memory lane.

     
  14. Anonymous Says:
  15. Great shots!!
    I fondly remember lift bridges as a child; the Chesapeake & Delaware canals had several and we used to get out of the car and wave to the men on the boat as the passed.

     

Post a Comment

Thank you for being gracious enough to leave a message! It is the best part of my day.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Canadian Please!

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My Photo
Lorac
Georgetown, Ontario, Canada
I have lived in Georgetown for 37 years but have traveled around a great deal. I own my own business which takes a lot of my time but try to blog as much as possible! I love to take pictures, no training, just a love of photography. Enjoy the pics but please do not copy them.
View my complete profile

Please do not copy!

Copyright ~~All content and photos are original to Carol Merten, Ahhh...The Cottage Life! and are copyrighted. Please do not copy, or download any content without express written consent. All content and photos remain the sole property of Carol Merten.

Visitors