Bloggers.com

I'm listed in Life & Lifestyle

Cattails in the WInd

Cattails in the WInd

Home Town Canada

Georgetown, Ontario's Hometown Canada Community
Community information including businesses, real estate, travel, events, history, trivia, classified ads, forums and more.

Followers

BlogCatalog

Personal Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Ahhh... The Cottage Life!

Posted by Lorac Monday 8 June 2009

It was so nice to go to the cottage this weekend. I had been waiting for awhile! So busy here and the weather has been very cool as well. Stopped on the side of the road on the way up to photo this Canada Goose Family. It reminds me how far along we are in the season for it to be so cool!

I got to the cottage all by myself at around 5:30pm. I wasn't expecting my son and his family until 10pm. Too late to get the pump primed and the water going in the pump house behind the cottage so I decided to do it. The black flies this year are horrendous! It took me about an hour to get the pump primed and I swear that I ate so many black flies I wasn't even hungry anymore! The black fly is about 1/8 in. (3.2 mm) long and has large eyes, short legs, a stout, humped back, broad gauzy wings, and piercing-sucking mouthparts. The female inflicts a painful bite, sucking the blood of birds and mammals, including humans.

Doesn't state how much protein per!
I finally got the new foot valve on the hose into the lake and the pump cooperated and primed quickly probably due to still having water in the pipes from the last try at priming. After about an hour waiting for the water to warm up I was able to have a great shower and make some dinner after all. the Family arrived around 9:45 so i boated over to the marina and picked them up. Everyone was tired so we called it a night pretty early.
The next morning we woke up to a beautiful sunny day! It was also warming up fast. Thank goodness black flies don't like the heat so it was fairly bug free.
My son and I like to work together at the cottage and there is always plenty of things that need working on, real and imagined. (Remind me to write about battling rocks with fire one day) We are digging out the bank behind our cottages and adding it to the front of the property by the lake to build up the front and stop any erosion. So far many many wheelbarrows full have gone from front to back!

The granddaughters seem to enjoy this digging to. It is pure sand, cool on the feet and they look for neat coloured rocks to add to their collection. Sometimes you may even find a new friend like this red newt that Kiandra found!

We kept a fire going to further discourage the black flies. Smoke keeps them away too. Ki fans the fire to keep it going.


We worked outside all day only stopping to have lunch and a cool one. Soon enough it was dinner time. We all wanted to roast some marshmallows in the fire after dinner for desert.

As the Campfire Burns

When the smoke floats through the air
Rare fragrance it imparts.
While hungry flames nip at the logs-
As the campfire starts.

Flickering sparks go flying high,
in gleeful leaps and turns.
The cheery flames light up the sky-
As the campfire burns.

The flames recede. the light grows dim,
A solemn spirit reigns.
the time has come to bid the night adieu-
As the campfire dies.

By Thomas Wheatley

4 comments

  1. Delwyn Says:
  2. Hi Lorac

    Isn't hard work in the outdoors great for the soul...

    I love this kind of leisure...

    Happy days

     
  3. Lorac Says:
  4. I totally agree Delwyn!

     
  5. Sandra Says:
  6. Looks like a perfect weekend to me.

     
  7. Anonymous Says:
  8. Looks like you are having a great time (apart from the flies!!)

    (This is my first day of blogging, have a lot to learn!!)

     

Post a Comment

Thank you for being gracious enough to leave a message! It is the best part of my day.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Canadian Please!

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My Photo
Lorac
Georgetown, Ontario, Canada
I have lived in Georgetown for 37 years but have traveled around a great deal. I own my own business which takes a lot of my time but try to blog as much as possible! I love to take pictures, no training, just a love of photography. Enjoy the pics but please do not copy them.
View my complete profile

Please do not copy!

Copyright ~~All content and photos are original to Carol Merten, Ahhh...The Cottage Life! and are copyrighted. Please do not copy, or download any content without express written consent. All content and photos remain the sole property of Carol Merten.

Visitors